First things first. Let’s first list the ingredients that you DO NOT WANT in your salad dressing:
- Soy or Canola – These crops are grown using massive amounts of pesticides which can end up in your body.
- High-fructose corn syrup – Yes, they are putting this stuff in ready-made dressings. (See my blog post on High-fructose for more information if needed)
- Titanium dioxide. Used to make colors brighter. Also used in paint for the same reason. Lead can be found in this ingredient. For sure something you don’t want to consume!
- Red #40- An artificial food dye linked to ADHD in children.
- Trans fats- (also words like “partially hydrogenated,” “shortening,” or “interesterified.”) The stuff that can cause heart disease when you have too much of it.You want to keep the level down to .5 grams of fat per serving or less of course.
- Monosodium glutamate, or MSG for short- Many people have reported it causes migraines. Animal studies have shown it to cause nerve cell damage in the brain.
After doing a little research into how many calories are in different salad dressings, all I can say is with my cheeks blown out “FAT ALERT!” Dang!
I myself love ranch. To be specific I love Newmans Own ranch dressing. I like the taste and I like that 100% of the profits go to charity. BUT, after though looking at the ingredients that list Soybean Oil And/Or Canola Oil), that is a turnoff, and then reading the calorie count it’s 150 calories per serving which it says is 2 tablespoons. Heck I know I sure use more than that! Ahhhhh! Let’s look at some more well-known dressings and see what their calorie count is.
- Hidden Valley 140 calories per 2 tablespoons (First ingredient Soybean or Canola oil).
- Kraft 110 calories per 2 tablespoons (First ingredient Soybean oil)
- Ken’s 200 calories per 2 oz packet (First ingredient Soybean oil)
- Litehouse Homestyle 120 calories per 2 tablespoons. (First ingredient Canola oil)
Let’s mention something here for a moment that I’ve noticed posted on many of these products websites. Comments such as “I’ve been using this since I was a kid.” I understand as I used certain products since I was a kid too because my mom used them. Now that I’m a grown man now, I can see some of the things Mama used to use are not healthy choices for my body. More than likely back then, Mama and others didn’t have many studies done to show the harmful effects of some of these ingredients as we do today, plus it’s my bet that 40 years ago, there were fewer pesticides used than there is today.
So, what do we do, other than making our own dressings? (Not a bad idea and certainly one option). The other option would be is to use simpler products (such as a Balsamic Vinaigrette or buy organic products.
So we have learned that leading brands of at least Ranch dressing are not the healthiest choice we can make. Even brands that give their profits away. It’s better to either make your own, keep your dressing simple, or buy organic.
If you’d like to share more of what you have learned about dressings and perhaps some suggestions on what you use that is healthy, please comment below.
If I invited you to this page or you just happened upon this page and have questions or want more information, you can Email me at DexterDBlack@comcast.net or call me at 717-467-5088. If someone else invited you, please get back to the person who sent you here for further ordering or informational questions.
You can also find me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WealthandRiches
May your days be filled with good health, good friends, good food, and most of all; much love,
Dexter D Black
* Disclosure Link http://dexterdblack.com/disclosures