Them Bones, Them Bones, Them Strong Bones!
Especially after age 30, we need to start paying more attention to the health of our bones. Stop drinking the soda (that sucks calcium out of your bones) and start eating things that can help with keeping strong bones.
- Plain Low-Fat Yogurt. Adding some crushed fruit. Great for Calcium
- Eat Edamame. Why? 1/2 of Americans are low on Magnesium which just like calcium is stored in the bones to keep them sturdy. Edamame is magnesium rich and is also a good source of bone-thickening vitamin K.
- Vitamin D is found in Salmon. (Eat the wild caught kind as the Salmon that are raised in Salmon farms are higher in mercury.) Vitamin D helps calcium get into the blood. Of course, Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which may also help lower inflammation linked to osteoporosis.
- Parmesan cheese has lots of Calcium
- Sardines with bones.
- Black Beans for Magnesium
- Cashews and peanuts for magnesium
- Eggs, maitake mushrooms and tuna for Vitamin D